Sunday, July 21, 2013

Visiting The Anne Frank Center USA


New York is a spectacular city, where we can see an  impressive cultural diversity. That's amazing! Last week I visited THE ANNE FRANK CENTER USA, partner to the Anne Frank House, founded in 1977. There, I could watch an exhibit about the experience the Anne Frank, I could see a facsimile of Anne's diary and examine a model of the Secret Annex among other remembrances. I enjoyed it too much!

Anne was a  german-Jewish girl born on June 12, 1929, who was forced to go into hiding during the Holocaust. She and her family spent over two years during World War II hiding in an annex of rooms above her father’s office in Amsterdam ...for after, to die in a concentration camp.
"While in hiding, Anne kept a diary in which she recorded her fears, hopes, and experiences. Found in the secret apartment after the family was arrested, it was published after the war in many languages. Anne Frank has become a symbol for the lost promise of the children who died in the Holocaust." “Since it was first published in 1947, Anne Frank’s diary has become one of the most powerful memoirs of the Holocaust. Its message of courage and hope in the face of adversity has reached millions. The diary has been translated into 67 languages with over 30 million copies sold. Anne Frank’s story is especially meaningful to young people today. For many  she s their first, if not their only exposure to the history of the Holocaust.” (adapted from http://annefrank.com and http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10005210).
 I read her diary in Portuguese language. Now, I wish read it in English. Read you too!





1 comment:

  1. Rachel, I have really sure that was a marvellous experience to you. I have never read this book, but you explained so well that when I come back to Brazil I'll buy the book to read and know more about the history of Anne Frank.

    ReplyDelete